Groundnuts are peanuts. This hearty stew is made with peanut butter, chicken, tomatoes, and onions.
8-12 chicken pieces (we used 1 pound or a 1?2 kilo of cut up
1 medium onion, chopped
1 t salt
1 t pepper
1 t curry powder 1 t cayenne pepper
1 cup smooth peanut butter (natural, never jiffy or skippy)
10 cups hot water
2 medium-ripe tomatoes, pealed. (We used about a cup of salsa)
1. Season chicken with onions and all dry ingredients.
2. Moisten with a little water and cook over medium heat in a large saucepan for 15 minutes.
3. Stir as needed.
4. While chicken is cooking, mix peanut butter with boiling water in a bowl until smooth (Ghanaians will use their fingers)
5. Add peanut butter mixture to chicken when it is ready.
6. Bring to a boil at once and continue boiling for about 30 minutes.
7. Grind tomatoes in a blender until smooth, and add to soup.
8. Simmer until chicken becomes tender and a dark oil begins to form in soup.
9. Stir often.