Kelewele is a popular Ghanaian snack dish of fried plantains seasoned with spices.In English, it is sometimes called Hot Plantain Crisps.In Africa, kelewele is sold by street vendors, usually at night.It is sometimes served with rice and stew, peanuts,or alone as a dessert or a snack. Kelewele is also popular for breakfast.
• 2 fingers of plantain
• 1-teaspoon ground ginger
• 1-teaspoon ground chilli
• 1-teaspoon ground or grated ginger
• Vegetable oil for deep-frying
1. Wash plantain, cut ends and peel
2. Cut peeled plantain in half, lengthwise and slice, about half an inch thick
3. Marinate with chilli and ginger, and salt to taste.
4. Deep fry in hot oil at 160 C until golden brown
5. Serve hot. Can be served with roasted peanuts and finger food or black-eye beans stem.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 5 mins