Ghanaian Plantain Cakes, can be eaten as a snack or appetizer
2 over-ripe medium plantains (black and soft)
1 small onion, finely chopped or grated
25 to 50 g (1 to 2 oz) self-raising flour
5 ml (1 tsp) palm oil
Optional: salt and hot pepper to taste
oil, for frying
1. Peel and mash the plantains well.
2. Put into a bowl and add enough of the flour to bind.
3. Add the onion, palm oil, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Mix well and leave to stand for 20 minutes.
5. Fry in spoonfuls in a little hot oil until golden brown.
6. Drain on paper towel and serve hot.